Saturday 8 June 2019

The lady came...

To get the correct measurement for the lounge curtains. Quote given and accepted. They will be converted from pencil pleat to eyelet as well. Expected to take about 2 weeks then the lounge will be finished. Hooray!

Wet weather has finally arrived. We had one heavy shower at 11:30 last night and it’s just started to get heavy now at 10:15.

The garden should feel better for it.

We took Ruby out for an early amble around the village so she wouldn’t get too wet. We dried her off and after a good sleep, she will be dry enough for a nail and fur trim. I’ll do two feet today and two tomorrow.

Poor girl had 3 ticks on her the other day. Luckily 2 of them were walking along her back so we picked them off. We didn’t see the other one until the next day. It was right under her neck so not easy to hold her still. Even with the correct tool, it took several attempts before being removed intact.

I did my usual thing of wrapping it in paper then whacking it flat with the rolling pin. I hate them. Poor girl had quite a wound so we applied cream to it.

I know I could put her on insecticide stuff but quite frankly, don’t want too. She already has one for fleas and if she had a combined flea/tick treatment, it would contain 3 different chemicals.

Last year, we only found a few ticks, this year, she has already had 5:( We are going to try a natural method or two combined, along with extra vigilance and see what happens.

7 comments:

  1. My husband picked up a tick recently after a fell run through gorse and bracken. It was on the outside of his ankle so he couldn't reach it himself. I was handed the tick remover tool and a magnifying glass and gingerly had a go. I wiped the thing off with a tissue and flushed it away. Not a job I would want to do too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know what their function is but guess they have one but I still hate them.

      Delete
  2. We are lucky, have had only one tick in one cat this summet - yet... I don't use any tool to remove them, I have mastered my technic by twisting the tick until it releases it sold. Basically the same the tool does mut especially 'Suma hates any tools, so it's much easier do it by fingers. Disgusting but easy.
    But that tick on the cat was HUGE, it was about the size of full grown mature pea, and it had'n even full of blood yet!
    Did you know, that if you throw tick in to the flames, it'll explode! The popping sound is suprisingly loud (usually I flush them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully Mickey our dog has not picked up any yet. Pure luck I think as they are prolific locally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. One dropped off her this morning and we found another.

      Delete
  4. Ticks are nasty for sure. It's a wonder that we really never heard about them until a couple of years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been around us for decades. Getting more prolific I think due to milder winters.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.