Monday 15 July 2019

Date and oat slices

This recipe is from Cranks and can be found on my recipe tab above. Here is the tray, fresh from the oven:
It is left to go cold before slicing, you should get 16 good sized slices but as we find it so sweet, we cut ours a little smaller and get 24:
My tin is slightly larger than the one recommended so I increase all the ingredients by 10%. I also like to turn it out before cutting. I used a palette knife around the edges to loosen them, put a chopping board on top, turn over and all being well, it comes out, upside down onto the board. I cut it iupside down as well.

Some people, who must have a very sweet tooth, like to put sugar in the crumble mix but it really isn't necessary, the date mixture is very sweet. It can be eaten cold as a snack, or warm with custard as a pudding.

I have decided now to bake once a week, portion the baking up and freeze most until needed. That way, it can cut down on my single use clingfilm a little.

10 comments:

  1. I make mincemeat slice similarly. Love dates will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom loved this. It is called Matrimonial Slice for some reason here in Canada (or at least the part I live in now).

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, definitely something I will be making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don’t make it often but it is lovely and freezes well.

      Delete
  4. That looks so delicious! Mmmmmm.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup .. we Canadians call it Matrimonial Cake .. my Mom used to send it to me while I was away studying .. I LOVED those parcels. My sister just brought some over for coffee the day before yesterday .. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.