Monday 8 July 2019

Preserving...

I now have a few more thick rhubarb stems ready and picked 1lb or so. They were added to a large bag of thawed blackberries from last year, still 11 or so more bags to use. Some were used to make rhubarb and blackberry jam:
I think I added a bit too much lemon as it has set so well it may rip the bread when used! Tastes gorgeous though.

The remainder of both was cooked and thickened with gelatine to make us 2 small puddings each:
Slightly tart but will be lovely.


4 comments:

  1. I would love to have your jam recipe. Maybe you'll think about sharing it. It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew 1lb sliced rhubarb, in 1/2 pint water, until almost done, add in 1lb blackberries and bring up to heat. Add 2lb of normal white sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Stir until dissolved. Boil for 15 minutes before checking for first set. Boil another 5 minutes if not ready. Should be set then. You can omit the lemon juice if you wish but I read that rhubarb is particularly low in pectin so added it. Might give it a miss next time.

      Delete
  2. Nothing beats the flavour of homemade jam. Yours looks delicious, I always add lemon juice when using rhubarb too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade jam is wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.