Friday 25 October 2019

Finally, some Christmas preparation...

There is no getting away from it, if you want to experience home made Christmas food, you have to get on with it. I have been busy making, for presents as well as ourselves, some piccalilli, Indian Chutney, jam and today, DB and I have done the preparation stage of mincemeat. It smells heavenly:
It now has to soak overnight before being put in a low oven tomorrow to melt the suet. Then after stirring the melted fat in until it has all been absorbed, brandy is added and it is put into jars to mature for 6 weeks before use. Phew, just done it in time:)


I can't stand the bought stuff, way too sweet for us both. I used to make a cake and pudding but now there are only the two of us half the time, don't bother. DB will buy himself a small pudding and I will usually make a semi fruit cake of some sort plus sponge puddings.


11 comments:

  1. Christmas seems to arrive faster every year. Good for you getting your mincemeat done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like homemade mincemeat, will do it when we get back from hols (so it won't have 6 weeks to mature, but never mind). We don't eat Christmas cake or puddings now either, like you, far too sweet for us, especially being diabetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tempted to make mincemeat as usual because of the gorgeous smell but it will need to be a very small amount as there's still a jar in the cupboard from last year! Think it needs eating if it's still edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be beautiful, especially if you add a little bit of alcohol.

      Delete
  4. I can almost smell that mincemeat mellowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying a fat free mincemeat this year. An abomination? I don;t know but it smells wonderful as it steeps in cointreau. It's going into the freezer today!
    I have a bought Christmas pud which ought to be great as it's old! The cake is on the make at the same stage as the mincemeat. I plan to make the stuffing next week and that will go into the freezer too. Ditto the traditional (to us) Delia veggie sausage rolls (so, so good) and things like shortbread. I often prep and freeze the roasties in advance buit need more freezer space before I do that!
    Yes, it does take some work and I'm glad it can be spread over several weeks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely the fat free version but I only make 3 jars which last all year, don’t mind this version. Sounds like you are on top of things.

      Delete
  6. I love mince meat, I should really give making it a go.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.