Friday 11 October 2019

Homemade dog biscuits

I have made these before and wanted to store them in a jar for a month. Once baked, they were dehydrated to harden them off. Unfortunately, I decided to adapt the recipe this time and in doing so, forgot to add yeast, to help them rise.

Hopefully Ruby will be able to crunch her way through them. She has a slightly reduced breakfast and tea so she can have a daytime snack. I am hoping one of these will take the edge off her hunger, providing they come out alright. If not, they will be chopped down a little and used as occasional treats.

Herewith before baking:
And afterwards:
I used half of Rhonda Hetzel's dog biscuit recipe, substituting a cup of stock this time for a dessertspoon of natural peanut butter dissolved in hot water and left to go cold. I think they are fine without the yeast as she has enough of that anyway as her tick treatment.

Needless to say, she had one plus a thin piece of dried tripe for her midday snack and woofed both down.

Next week, I am writing posts on the menopause stages, from my perspective and also what I have learned through the years. Hopefully you can offer further advice for what has worked for you.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder if I could find homemade cat treats....

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See some here, hopefully
      https://www.care.com/c/stories/6291/10-easy-homemade-cat-treats-your-cat-will-lov/en-gb/

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to get a dog soon and I would love to make biscuits and treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to adapt her recipe further to change the flours.

      Delete
  3. I made some last year from a recipe I found online and took them up to Blue Cross. I think they went down well with the dogs. I think they had peanut butter in them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely use peanut butter as I have read good and bad about it though this version was salt free. She enjoys stock based ones just as much.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.