Wednesday 9 October 2019

Nectarine and raspberry jam

I had hoped to make 'flat' peach and raspberry jam but couldn't find any of those strange flat peaches. Anyhow, 4 nectarines were substituted. They were a bit on the firm side so I peeled them and chavelled them to a pulp in my food processor. The raspberries were also chavelled up and put through a sieve to remove their pips.

I ended up with 465g of fruit, to which I added 405g sugar and 50g water. I use a rough ratio of weight of fruit, 85% of that weight as sugar and roughly10% of the fruit weight as water. It sets well for most jams but cuts down on the sweetness a little. Extra lemon juice is added to any jam if it doesn't seem to be quite setting correctly.

The flecks you can see in the finished jam are teeny pieces of nectarine:

4 comments:

  1. Your jam sounds wonderful, but what in the world are "flat" peaches?
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also known as a doughnut peach, they are roundish but flatter, about 1” high.

      Delete
  2. Your jam looks lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.