Thursday 10 October 2019

Nectarine Powder

I read somewhere on the internet, that if you dry fruit skins then process them to a fine powder, it tastes lovely and is a beautiful addition to sponges and puddings etc. We shall see.

Herewith the peeled skins of my 4 nectarines from jam making, on 1 1/2 trays of my dehydrator:
And after they are dry:

Once processed into a fine powder, they yielded about 2 tablespoons. Too much work for such a small amount. However, it does have a great taste of nectarines. I will make some individual steamed pudding with the powder, soon rather than later, just to make sure the powder doesn't stick together.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this - it looks like a great idea - we use ours for things like onion, tomato and leek powder but haven't tried fruit peel for flavourings. One for the try out list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have also made our own fruit leather.

      Delete
  2. That sounds tasty. I am hoping to get some cheap grapes and dry them in my dehydrator. Have you tried drying bananas? They go soft and chewy and are really tasty. I keep mine in a jar and they last ages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too keen on dry banana unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Yes a lot of work but I should imagine a rather nice hint of the nectarine in a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some citrus powder. It's lovely https://angalmond.blogspot.com/2018/06/gold-dust.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.