Friday 27 December 2019

A murmuration of starlings

In the years we have lived here, we have seen occasional little murmurations in the distance. Last night DB got back late walking Ruby and asked me to check out a huge one, over the house:
It lasted for quite a long time, didn't watch them settle into a huge conifer just yards away. They must have roosted shoulder to shoulder to fit into it. The chattering was very loud and the sound of their wings beating as they swooped overhead, was just magical.

They were still chattering away when we went to bed at 10:30, by which time, it was pitch black.

When we got up the next day, they were chattering away as loud as could be, but it was too cold to watch so we missed them taking off. I am sure they will return for a while.

5 comments:

  1. I love starlings, we have them in our garden every day and it's amazing to see the murmurations over the beach when they all come together. If I'm on the beach at the right time I can see them all returning to the pier, as you say the chattering makes quite a racket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were walking at dusk and saw little groups forming before they joined together over us.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I bet that was something to see.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching starlings. The make such amazing patterns.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.