Saturday 14 December 2019

Chimera baking

A posh word for "where was my brain when I started baking"?

I pulled out a bag of flour, rubbed in margarine and lard, to make pastry. I was just about to add water when I realised I had picked up self raising flour or instead of plain flour - doh!

Whilst I do like to add a smidge of self raising flour to my pastry, (it makes it more forgiving to work with), all self raising flour was completely wrong. I couldn't think what to do with it then I realised. It is almost the foundation for a sponge (except for the lard of course). War time bakers had to use lard for their sponges and they worked out fine.

Another lot of margarine was added to it, along with the zest of an orange, some sugar, some mixed spice and the remainder of a bakewell tart topping used elsewhere. Although the first lot of ingredients and the new margarine were rubbed in, once everything else and 4 eggs were added, it was beaten like an all in one cake:
I decided to bake it in two Victoria sandwich tins, herewith fresh from the oven and turned out:
Once cold, I used a 3" scone cutter to form little (if uneven) puddings:
They are now in the freezer ready for visitors, who won't mind them being wonky! There are enough scraps for us to have a pudding each this weekend, plus a few more for tea time treats.

All in all, a nice rescue.

12 comments:

  1. I know I get a real glow of satisfaction when I manage to rescue something successfully so well done : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we say, everything sweet goes with custard.

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea and recovery. And just as good an idea to cut them out into individual puds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least some are out the reach of temptation.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. Doesn’t taste too bad either.

      Delete
  4. Well done. I bet they taste absolutely delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite nice and of course, custard always helps.

      Delete
  5. I love how you saved the day! Waste not; want not :)
    They look so yummy . . . put the kettle on and I be there, LOL.
    Have a lovely day.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.