Wednesday 22 April 2020

A World of Guinea Pigs?

I think in the grand scheme of the Coronavirus crisis, we are all guinea pigs.

Each country is reacting differently to whether they use herd immunity (primarily Sweden after we gave it up), a totalitarian style lockdown or a more lenient version of lockdown.

Lockdown is being relinquished in various ways, all of them experimental as no one knows which way, if any, is best. Either for their citizens showing unrest or to try and revive their economies.

Some have gone back into lockdown following a fresh surge of cases. We are now being informed that the virus could linger indefinitely and rear its head either each winter or just every now and then.

The thinking was the warm weather would put paid to it, the same way that flu cases reduce after winter. Why then, are hot countries experiencing cases?

Passenger planes are still flying albeit greatly reduced, why? Freight plane use is understandable, but passengers!

China appeared to be so slow in revealing the extent and deadliness of this particular virus that the rest of the world was slow to respond. They and us, were being told it was basically a mild version of flu. Unfortunately that has proved to not be the case as deaths from this particular virus continues to climb.

It is rampant, deadly, no one knows if they have it and are showing no symptoms, thereby spreading it further. Idiots continue to flout the social distancing, obviously believing they can’t get it “cos it only kills old gits”. Er no, it kills anyone in any age group, underlying conditions or not.

Have we passed the peak or not? I think once the non hospital deaths are fully included, then 30,000 or even 40,000 (hopefully no higher), deaths will probably be nearer the true tally.

I really hope I’m wrong.


4 comments:

  1. My opinion is, China have not been honest in any of its reporting of Covid19. From death rates to, strength if strain and of course where key people have mysteriously vanished to. I don't think I will ever believe anything that comes from them again. And I will be going out of my way to never anything from there again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew some of the answers but I doubt we will ever know the real truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Canada there is talk about loosening things up a bit. I do hope they take things slow so we can still follow the safe practices put in place by all levels of government.

    As far as knowing the truth, I have a feeling that will be a long time coming, perhaps never. Every country count is done differently, and we will never really know how many people had it but showed no symptoms.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Pilate said, 'What is truth'. I expect it will look different to each individual. Even hard facts are vulnerable to interpretation.
    I think you're right, we have to learn to live with this one and our hope is in an effective vaccine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.