Tuesday 21 April 2020

Vitiligo

A couple of years back, I developed a perfect 1” wide circle of white skin on the back of my neck, as though I had been sunbathing with a circular plaster on. I knew it was vitiligo.

A couple of months after that, another small patch appeared under my chin.

A few weeks ago, I noticed some on the back of my right hand. A few days ago, more appeared on the back of my left hand. I don’t know if I have anymore, will have to get DB to check me out where I can’t see.

Vitiligo is an autoimmune condition where melatonin cells are killed off. No one knows why. It doesn’t bother me too much at the moment. Certainly on our ‘long gone’ walking days, I protect the white skin with factor 50 cream. I already have an autoimmune condition of mild alopecia, which developed about 25 years ago.

It will develop on my face eventually. I don’t go out much but if I do and it bothered me too much, I can always apply foundation to mask it. Time will tell where it next happens and how I feel about it.


5 comments:

  1. I have a couple of very small patches on my arms and legs but they seem to have stopped developing now. I too have taken to wearing high factor suncream all over my face and hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have brown spots arriving, one on my nose so I wear a cover make up, some days if I remember doesn't really bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this condition in the past but they were very small patches and I never really bothered about them - never knew what it was called or what caused it.
    Auto-immune ideas makes sense since I have others - for me its factor 60 and an umbrella in the summer - I take a daily antibiotic which makes me even more sun sensitive so have to be careful. Lots of Vitamin D supplements in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a small patch on my arm. It does not seem to have gotten bigger or spread for a number of years.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 29 year old son has a perfectly round hairless path in his beard. It just appeared a few weeks ago, he has allergies and asthma, so he just accepted it, though he did shave off his beard.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.