Thursday 30 April 2020

Yesterday

After nearly two months, I finally managed to buy some baking powder. Being a regular baker and bread maker, I know it is something that is not used often. I suspect that people probably panic bought it and much will end up in the bin. Still no flour (although I have some in my stores) but plenty of pasta.

My old tub was out of date and just viable so I was glad to get some. Also found some ready to cook Rosti which we love so got three of those.

I didn’t have to queue and entered Lidl at 09:00 and came out at 09:25. Wasn’t rushing either and also got some lovely mini tagetes. Inside was calm, maybe 20 of us but some still getting too close.

Gave a smile to the cashier (behind my mask) which he must have seen as he gave me a big smile back. "I can tell by your eyes you’re smiling" he remarked!

I was the only one using mask and gloves. DB donned gloves once I got to the car and packed it away. Gloves and mask off, opened the door with a clean hand then DB squirted hand gel on them so I would be clean in the car.

Whilst waiting for him to answer a text, I watched a youngish chap approach the trolley bay. First he put on his mask, answered his phone, put it way, donned his gloves before touching the trolley. So good to see unlike others who just wandered up and got one.


6 comments:

  1. Good morning DC I managed to place an order with Shipton Mill for Canadian Bread Flour (they do other flours as well) for a 16kg bag for £15.50. I also ordered a 1kg block of fresh yeast for £8. There was approximately £6 postage on top of this. Shipton Mill every time they finish a run will put up delivery slot links. You have to keep trying it took me three days trying at different times during the day but eventually between 2:00pm and 3pm one afternoon was able to get access to the link. You then have 24 hours to place your order (one order allocation only) for those supplies you need. They do dried yeast and baking powder to direct link here https://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direct-shop/yeast-and-extras. To access the delivery slot information you have to go back to the home page. It may that ordering this way is not for you but thought that would share the information as I too became very frustrated at not being able to buy bread flour or yeast or even everyday baking flour (which the Mill also do). The only thing is that you have to be patient and persistent with going backwards and forwards to access the delivery slot links. Take care and keep safe Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used them before so thanks for that. I have enough for now. Would order a big bag if we lived near DS then we could share it.

      Delete
  2. There are a lot of people being very sensible, it just the few that seem to flout everything we are told to do. It sounds like you are doing things just right.

    I seem to have a thing for picking up pasta, so yes I have quite a lot in too. I MUST stop picking up a pack of spaghetti every time I see a full shelf of pasta or we'll be eating it forever. I do eat it about five times a week so I'm not being too harsh on myself though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have enough pasta for now but hope the flour situation improves gradually. Problem is, when you go shopping you never know what’s going to be there and I don’t want to buy things just in case else others miss out.

      Delete
  3. I went to pick up my prescription late Tuesday evening and popped into Asda which was relatively empty. They'd got 10 packs of plain flour right at the back of the shelve. I wouldn't have seen it had I not noticed a trail of flour on the floor. I had to bob down as low as possible to reach it. No SR though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things don't seem so bad around here or perhaps I just don't need the things that are short.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.