Thursday 6 August 2020

Fire

We came very close to having a kitchen fire last night. Pasta was cooking, timer set so I went back to watch a bit of tv.

DB all of a sudden came out the bedroom saying something was burning. As we went towards the kitchen, via the dining room, there was thick, eye stinging blue smoke everywhere!

Yep, I had put the wok on full, with a smidge of oil in and walked away. In my head, I knew the timer was on for the pasta and simply forgot about the wok. Mind you, in my defence we had both been busy sorting something else out just before I put the wok on, so I was distracted.

Luckily, although the acrid smoke was spreading, the oil had burnt away so no flames. DB carefully carried the wok outside, we opened all the windows and doors to help clear the rooms.

Wok is now useless!

We couldn’t understand why the smoke alarm hadn’t sounded as burning toast always sets it off. We tested it and it worked. Ruby didn’t sound the alarm either. Phew!

10 comments:

  1. My goodness, you were lucky. So glad the only damage seems to be to your wok.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left some potatoes on a very low ring and went to bed a couple of weeks ago. The pan was very burnt by 3am! However, there was no smoke (a very well fitting lid) and I managed to scrub the pan. It took a couple of hours but I was determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, you were lucky. Well done getting your pan back.

      Delete
  3. So easily done. Thank goodness there was no fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. The smoke lingered for hours and we spent the evening swotting flies, blasted things.

      Delete
  4. Smoke alarms are fickle things aren't they, we always trusted our Jack Russell, Rosy to warn us if anything was about to be burnt. She would have made a brilliant detection dog for a deaf person as she would come and it by your side looking up at you until you asked what was wrong, usually just after that the smoke detector would go off or wisps of smoke would appear from somewhere.

    You had a lucky escape there, but it is so easily done isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky. Ruby hasn’t heard the smoke alarm, it would probably worry her.

      Delete
  5. So glad that it wasn't worse.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.