Monday 24 August 2020

Social Media - A blessing or a curse?

I think all the platforms that offer a video media chat, and used properly, for people to keep in touch with, are a great idea. They have really come into their own in the current situation. Of course, all these platforms can and are abused but in general, a good idea.

Now we are Grandparents, it gives us a chance to watch DGD and catch up on all her (and their) news. We are also kept informed by other media that doesn't involve video.

Email is also great, especially as you can write often and don't have to worry about postage and delivery times. The downside of it, is postal services are struggling.

A side to email I don't like is when people moan at you behind your back, saying they have emailed you and you haven't been in touch. I recently had that happen. I did receive an email from the person involved but not the one they said they sent. Us not receiving it or replying to it really put their nose out of joint. Hey ho!

Another bugbear is when you send emails, texts etc., and get no reply. I’m not saying answers should be immediately forthcoming but an answer would be nice.

I always try to answer things the same day, or the next if they come in late. Perhaps it’s the secretary in me, when I had to reply, who knows. In the days of snail mail, I would send a reply within a week, knowing how welcome they would be.

A different annoyance is when you become the person always getting in touch and they never reciprocate! Even when done by phone and they take your call, which I find worse still. No excuse to answer you but then never, ever, instigate a call in the first place. Or say, yes we must have coffee and you leave the invite with them to arrange but no, no response. Yet again it falls on me to chase the breadcrumbs and instigate a meeting.

It all makes me feel, that I am not worth bothering with. A nuisance that if ignored long enough will simply go away. It can and does make me depressed. It can and does lead to unpleasant thoughts. Last year was a big struggle. The black dog was biting me hard and it was almost too much. I had to fight hard to still be here. DB could feel my deep sadness but was powerless to help. He helped by simply being there bless him.

Who doesn’t want to feel needed? Who doesn’t want to feel loved? Who doesn’t want to feel useful and appreciated. Would they wish they had behaved differently if you were no longer around? Probably not. After all, if you aren’t worth chatting to whilst alive, it’s a bit late to feel guilty after you are gone.

No man is an island, we all need a bit of love and appreciation!

I would love to not feel sad about such things but it is what it is. Anyhow, I now have a brand new human in my life, to love and cherish, how great is that?

18 comments:

  1. I could have written this myself. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way, I empathise totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have picked up on my thoughts and feelings this morning. I'm really out of sorts ... and right at the moment I wish I was an island!!

    I'm so glad you have a new human in your life, they do lift the spirits don't they, these little pink bundles of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly do. Watching her blow raspberries out the side of her mouth lifts me no end. Wish we lived closer:(

      Delete
  3. Chin up girl...we’re only human and life hurts sometimes...I look to nature when the humans are getting me down xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I went to gather a tiny amount of herbs for tea, it made me smile.

      Delete
  4. I am very bad at keeping in touch with people, all our family were. It's not right but I can't change who I am.............selfish? or self reliant? I've learned I can only rely on myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people I know are like that and that’s fine. It’s when they aren’t like it, become like it but you know they are keeping in touch with others.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad that your new little grandaughter is giving you a lift. I must admit I miss my family terribly but am thankful for technology to hold us together. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, like you say, thank goodness for technology. Must be even harder for you being so far away.

      Delete
  6. I've had that sort of a day too, feeling very isolated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horrible isn’t it? Hope you feel a little better soon. I’m sure your thumb didn’t help.

      Delete
  7. You expressed my thoughts perfectly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It can be very upsetting, I agree, very demoralising.
    My love to you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. Been going on for a few years, that’s what makes it so hard.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations re your granddaughter and thank you for writing this. I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.