Wednesday 2 September 2020

Autumn and jam making...

This is my favourite time of year, preserving and making things to see us through until harvest time next year. Some also go to people for Christmas presents, usually the ones who I can deliver them to whereas I use different, lighter presents if they need posting.

Going through the freezer last night, we found some fruit from 2018, 2019 and added some from this year.

Thawed and weighed we ended up with:

11.2oz Rhubarb and its juice
12.7oz Blackcurrants and their juice
8.8oz   Brambles after sieving
12.8oz Windfall Red Pears
12.4oz Windfall Bramley Apples

To this I added 1/2 pint cold water:
These were stewed for about 15 minutes before adding 3lb 2oz granulated sugar (90% rather than the 100% we tend to use over here. It still produces a good set but is a tad less sweet). As much scum was removed as possible:
As it was getting close to being the right consistency for setting, around 15 minutes of boiling time, I added 1 tablespoon lemon juice. After 5 more minutes, setting point was there and a small knob of butter was added to help the scum move to the sides, which again, was removed.

This amount made 6 x 1 lb jars. The 4 jars on the left all popped to indicate a good vacuum seal, the 2 on the right didn't. We will eat them asap:

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It certainly is! We shall enjoy eating it.

      Delete
  2. How I love a mixed fruit jam. Yours looks and sounds wonderful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Will be a lovely reminder of summer in winter.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The scum tasted lovely so the jam should as well.

      Delete
  4. Everybody's jam making, puts me to shame, I just haven't bothered this year. We still have some jams and chutneys from 2017, we rarely eat it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No point making it if you don’t eat it nowadays so don’t feel bad. We had just two jars left from last year and try to only make what we think we will eat.

      Delete
  5. Yum. I am afraid I cheat and use pectin when I make jam.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks good!! I love a good mixed fruit jam, and Compost Jelly is brilliant tasting too, although on the labels I have it as Apple and Fruit Jam or some such thing so as not to alarm any breakfasting overnight visitors.

    I am currently half way through a jar of Quince and Apple Jelly, made with quinces from our neighbours tree five years ago ... it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The one thing I like about home made jam is the intensity of the flavour and the sheer variety of flavours that you just cannot buy in the shops.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful looking jam. I still have 20+ jars of peach that I made last year. I'll keep my frozen fruit in the freezer until I start to run short. Dh only really likes grape jelly, so I'm watching for a good sale on grapes this fall and will freeze some for jelly making this winter.
    I have been canning tomatoes, salsa, juice, chili soup base and pasta sauce. The last 2 items are for DS2 & his family. I only have a few pint jars left and I can't find any, so when they are filled I'll be done canning for the year. Due to having a glass top range, I don't feel comfortable using my big canner and canning quarts. Only pints fit in my stock pot. I would freeze some tomatoes but I have no room in the freezers and will be getting some butchered chickens in a few weeks also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been busy, all sounds wonderful. I still have marmalade to make yet. Some for us and others to give as presents.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.