Saturday 12 September 2020

Dehydrating

Having not dehydrated for a couple of years, slap of hand, out came the machine!

Mine has 5 trays the same depth and one deeper tray plus 4 small containers for more liquid items:

A couple of days previously, I picked all my large tomatoes, Ailsa Craig, to make sure they were fully ripe. They were sliced, an apple corer used to remove the bit of core stuck in the bottom slice of each tomato, once sliced:

 
 
 
 3/4 of a bag of peas: 

Then I dug out an older bag of Hungarian Hot Wax peppers from the freezer:


This is what they looked like once dry, between 10 and 13 hours later:
The side edges of the tomotoes didn't dry out so I shall rehydrate those to put on our salad for lunch.


12 comments:

  1. Wow - they look amazing! I will have a go at drying tomatoes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The few rehydrated ones we had on top of our salad had an intense tomato flavour. Very nice. Skins a little tough but no problems.

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful colours. Maybe I will try dehydrating some of my tomatoes too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can sprinkle herbs and spices, or salt and pepper before drying as well. The peas were petit poir and kept falling through the shelves. If they rehydrate well, will try normal peas another time.

      Delete
  3. Wow that is impressive. I might look at investing in a machine myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made fruit leather in it before and dehydrated watermelon, the latter was gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. Got the idea off the internet. Going to try sweet corn soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's something I've never used or even thought of. Dehydrating vegetables/fruit instead of merely freezing them (which takes up precious space in the freezer.)The things you learn from other people's blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they work well when rehydrated I shall do more. Blogs are amazing aren’t they, I learn so much.

      Delete
  6. I think I might look into getting a dehydrator. I have so much allotment produce in the freezers, that an additional method of preserving would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would work well for you I think. Certainly Kev Alviti on his blog is making great use of his. The rehydrated tomatoes were so flavourful, chopped on top of salads and even as a last minute addition to a meal.

      Delete
    2. Hi Scarlet,
      I can’t seem to view your blog as you have made it private.
      I was wondering if you would please accept me?
      It’s Ellen x

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.