Tuesday 1 December 2020

Hygienist

I normally go to my hygienist twice a year but unfortunately, due to the first lockdown, had my appointment cancelled. I was a couple of months late for this one due to a backlog of clients. Finally, after just over a year, I went this morning.

Normally I don't mind going at all but this time was very different. They always phone up the day before to remind you. I was asked lots of health questions and advised to wear a coat as windows and doors were open and it would be cold. Also they reminded me not to forget my mask.

I duly turned up. Was waved in from the car park. After answering the same questions again and having my temperature taken and hands sanitised, I was let in and could take my mask off. Both the hygienist and her assistant were fully gowned up with masks and visors.

I was informed this would be a dry manual procedure as they were not allowed to use water or the sonic cleaner. 

It was most odd and just a smidge uncomfortable. I tried not to jump as the vacuum used to remove the loose plaque she had scraped off, caused my mouth to become extremely cold and very dry. This resulted in me asking them to stop 4 times so I was able to moisten my mouth and lips. Also the vacuum kept making rude noises when it hit my tongue and I was trying really hard not to begin giggling!

Eventually she finished and I could rinse my mouth out, not spit into the usual recepticle but instead, into another beaker.

The next appointment was made, I paid via machine (no cash allowed) and left.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like my experience. I was asked to pay in advance when I booked. I was not told it would be a dry procedure without polishing until I sat in the chair. I would not have paid £75 if I'd known!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh that’s expensive! Our private practice wants the hygienist to charge £54 for 1/2 an hour but they refused. £48 for 20 minutes. Still polished as well.

      Delete
  2. I have to make my appointment as mine was cancelled. But I've really avoided going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very safe. They were already cleaning the room as I left.

      Delete
  3. Pretty much my experience when I went a couple of months ago. I have another appointment on the 10th and expect it to be much the same. Like you I felt very safe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fun to have teeth cleaned but very important, even for overall health. I have my teeth cleaning appointment for next week, and am the first appointment of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have mine next Tuesday and I am dreading it. My daughter said our dentist made you gargle with mouthwash before coming in.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.