Sunday 17 January 2021

Only one thing for it

When chilled to the bone, home made soup!

This one used an onion, three carrots, three smallish potatoes, a tin of tomatoes, a cup of split red lentils, tomato puree, garlic puree, a heaped teaspoon of smoked paprika and two stock cubes. 

Once cooked two thin bockwurst were sliced into it along with two handfuls of spinach and a bit of oat flour to thicken it:


We had it with sea salt and black pepper crackers (the bread was still cooking). For a quick pudding we had milk jelly (a jelly half made up with boiling water and half a small can of evaporated milk, topped up with cold water. Nom nom!!

13 comments:

  1. Soup is wonderful - so quick, so easy and such a tasty way to use up fridge and freezer rubble. Yours looks so delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Joy's phrase, "Freezer rubble". It's different every time and all the better for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always better on the second day as well.

      Delete
  3. Home made soup just really hits the spot on a cold day doesn't it. I'm loving just chucking all my bits and bobs of veggies in the soup maker and having a dishful or cupful most lunchtimes.

    I used to make the 'milk jelly' for my boys when they were young and pennies were tight, I would whisk up the evaporated milk to really aerate it and make the finished result very mousse-like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks delicious and sounds so tasty, the perfect warming meal for a cold day. I haven't had milk jelly for a long while, my Mum used to make it for us. What a joy to be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. I know you often make scones for soup. We had crumpets this time.

      Delete
  5. Do you whip up your evaporated milk...delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not usually but will give it a go next time.

      Delete
  6. Refrigerator soup is the best and yours looks wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My fridge is almost empty bar a few salad items.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.