Tuesday 9 February 2021

Hempseed Soda Bread - Updated!

Another 1 1/2” of snow fell yesterday. Thinks it’s going away now so the roads and pavements will be clear and safe again.

I have only recently discovered hemp seed and am a big fan. They have such a wonderful taste. We fancied a change having not had any soda bread for quite a while. This is an old recipe, from Farmhouse Cookery published by Readers Digest in 1980.

9oz Plain White Flour (not bread flour), 9oz Plain Brown Flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 oz solid fat of your choice. Mix flours and salt together and rub in the fat. Add 2 heaped tablespoons of shelled hemp seeds and stir in.

Add 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda, 4 teaspoons cream of tartar and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar. Mix in.

Add  up to 3/4 pint of butter milk, or half milk and plain yoghurt. combined to make 3/4 pint.

Providing you have only added enough milk to bring together to form a ball on a floured surface, all should be well. I added the whole lot of liquid without thinking and ended up with a wet sticky dough that couldn't be formed:

Place on a floured tray and bake at 220C for about 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Remove from tray and place on a cooling tray:

This should last 2 or 3 days. Soft for the first day, getting more firm after that. It does make nice toast though.


15 comments:

  1. Now that looks lovely :-)

    I really like this sort of bread toasted with lots of cream cheese and slices of tomato on ... a real treat of a breakfast, or an easy tasty lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It would have been taller if it hadn’t been too wet. Very nice nonetheless.

      Delete
  2. Ive never made soda bread but looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very different, a cross between bread and cake I think. A good emergency bread.

      Delete
  3. I haven't made soda bread in awhile, I have been cheating of late using the bread making machine. I have made something similar using sunflower seeds and walnuts, very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my bread machine all the while as my wrists find kneading difficult but made this by hand.

      Delete
  4. I love soda bread toasted. Did you put the hemp seeds in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, just updated to add shelled hemp seeds, 2 heaped tablespoons added in before liquid, doh!

      Delete
    2. Lol! Wasn't sure whether you mixed them in or sprinkled them on top.

      Delete
  5. Looks great. Not sure what flours I should use for g.f. I must investigate. I have hemp seed oil on my daily porridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think anything you might use to make bread with would work. Can but try.

      Delete
  6. Soda bread always makes me think of my mother in law in better days before the dementia. She made soda bread every second day, sometimes plain, sometimes with black treacle and sometimes with fruit in it. Everyone loved it and no matter how hard we try nobody else can do it like hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, always difficult reproducing something you ate.

      Delete
  7. I have never made soda bread but your recipe looks very interesting and very easy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.