Wednesday 17 February 2021

More Baking - trying healthier options...

This first recipe comes from Niamh of Fairyland Cottage. It is for Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies. Her recipes is Vegan, mine not entirely so. You can find her version here.

Ingredients: 

3/4 cup buckwheat/wholemeal flour,

1/4 cup raw cacao/cocoa,

1/2 tsp baking soda/bicarbonate of soda,

pinch sea salt

2/3 cup coconut sugar,

1/4 cup coconut oil,

1 tsp vanilla extract,

1/3 cup almond milk/any milk,

2 tbsp molasses, black treacle/maple syrup,

1/2 cup cranberries or other dried fruit,

1/2 cup chopped 90% cacao/or good quality chocolate. I used fruit and nut.

Mix together the flour, cacao, bicarb and salt. Stir in the coconut sugar, chopped chocolate and dried fruit. Carefully melt the coconut oil, vanilla extract and molasses etc together. Pour into the dry mix, mix well, adding the milk as you go.

Now, using cocoa, which absorbs differently to cacoa, I found the mix a little sticky so added another tablespoon of buckwheat flour.

Roll into balls, place on the lined baking tray, flatten slightly and bake at 180C for 10 minutes. Again, using cocoa, I found I needed to bake for between 12 and 14 minutes.

Leave them on the tray, on a cold surface such as the draining board, until cold. Put them into a tin.

Oven: 180c for 10 minutes

Here are mine:

These will be a once a day indulgence with our afternoon cup of tea.
 

8 comments:

  1. These look yummy, did you use a special measuring cup, or an ordinary tea cup? I get confused with cup measurements . Apparently American , are different to Canadian, and possibly Australian ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the same now from what I have just read. My cup measures 250ml.

      Delete
  2. These sound good. Last night I made the Chocolate and Oat bars with mixed nuts, seeds and chopped apricots instead of the granola. They are delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear. These have a rich taste with an unusual undertone due to the buckwheat flour hence the suggestion of wholewheat.

      Delete
    2. I am gluten intolerant so would use the buckwheat flour.

      Delete
  3. I do love a homemade cookie or cake with my morning cuppa. Mrs and I have two big comfy soft rocking recliner chairs that are in the sun. I stop work for 10 mins and we have our cuppa in the sun and chat. The home baking is always very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that in home cooking you can adjust recipes to your taste rather than the sickly sweet bought items.

      Delete
  4. I like the looks of those cookies.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.