Wednesday 3 February 2021

Rain and size does matter!

I had a quick stroll along the patio this morning to check on plants. I could see and hear excess rainwater squishing out from a few of the slabs. When laid, each of the slabs were placed on 5 piles of mortar so I was quite surprised to hear it.

We normally bake a medium sized loaf of bread once or twice a week. We don't eat it every day tending to use it for sandwiches when fresh, then toast as it ages. We have an electric slicer and normally get about 16 slices of bread from said loaf. 8 slices are frozen and 8 put into use. We can get around 5 or 6 days doing this from the whole loaf.

Lately, we have chosen to slice it when needed and it has disappeared in around 3 or 4 days. Back to slicing it then!

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I am glad someone else has the same bread problem as I do! I usually do as you do and slice (knife) and freeze the loaf or it wouldn't last five days. I hadn't thought about an electric slicer though: it sounds as though you would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would. Ours is a Lakeland one and unfortunately we can’t get a new blade for it. Still very sharp though. Lasted twice a week for a few years now. We also slice cooked meat on it into very thin slices.

      Delete
  2. I love bread, it's my kryptonite. I weaken when I see it, then it vanishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    Nothing like the aroma of freshly baked bread. Guaranteed to make it disappear instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We started to eat open sandwiches as I was cutting the bread so thick. Such a good idea to buy an electric slicer, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A slicer doesn't cut it as thick, even on its thickest setting so does help.

      Delete
  5. We seem to be going through more bread now as well. Wonder if being in the middle of winter has something to do with it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. Its such a comforting food isn't it, especially with soup.

      Delete
  6. Since I'm in America, I'm not sure if you mean an electric knife or an actual appliance that slices a whole loaf into slices. I have a bread machine and make bread as needed (at least once a week.) Since it's so cold here right now, I made dinner rolls out of some frozen dough rounds I bought after Christmas. That will supplement our bread supply for the week. I haven't purchased bread items in over a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean a machine that cuts most things.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.