Thursday 30 December 2021

Post Christmas Tidy Up

All washing is now done although more will be around at the weekend after the bed change.

Christmas card list has been updated and fronts cut off any suitable cards to make gift tags for next year.

DB has just come back from walking Ruby and our next job is to take down all the decorations (plus tree). Each room will then, over a few days, be hoovered and dusted. 

We did our weekly shop yesterday and although it wasn't on special offer, I bought us a nice smoked ham joint to cook over the New Year. Any we don't eat, and there will be loads, will be sliced and frozen in meal sized portions.

Just finished filling in with kitchen waste, another trench in our raised beds. 3 more to go in this particular bed then just one more raised bed to do. The soil is so wet and heavy that I might have to get DB to dig the next trench.

The dining room light, which we have wanted to change for ages, has blown two bulbs. They are so expensive to replace so we shall now get on with changing the whole light fitting. Hopefully we can find one relatively cheap one (function over fashion in this house), that doesn't have expensive bulbs!

 


11 comments:

  1. It feels really good to be tidying away all the Christmas bits doesn't it, a nice fresh start for the New Year is always welcome.

    It really is the bulbs that can make some light fittings expensive over the years isn't it, which is why I went for a bog standard hanging light and a lovely lampshade for the lodge. I'm really happy with my decision, I nearly bought a couple of chandelier types which might have cost me a lot in bulbs over the course of a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly have to weigh up the pros and cons.

      Delete
  2. I removed the Christmas decor from the hallway today. It was only a 5 minute job, but it's a start. I would usually have removed everything by now, but having covid meant we didn't get to enjoy them earlier this month. It might be a job for Saturday while J goes to Parkrun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep our Hall way lights up all year plus put chilli pepper ones under the kitchen cabinets.

      Delete
  3. When I looked for new light fittings at B&Q and Wickes I was shocked to find that for some of them you can't buy replacement bulbs at all. If the LED bulb goes you have to replace the whole fitting. Needless to say I didn't buy any of those. I have also bought light fittings on eBay (they worked) and some charity shops test and sell them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here when we went looking. So wasteful.

      Delete
  4. I think I just may start to tidy things away on the 2nd. We need a new light fixture in our dining room. The one in there is really not giving us enough light. I hope you find what you are looking for.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing today, will try in the new year.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you successful hunting for the light fittings - it all seems so complicated nowadays (or maybe I'm just getting old.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No joy today, excuse the pun! Most ave integrated bulbs which we don’t want.

      Delete
  6. My Christmas decs were well packed away yesterday into their boxes and then into larger boxes, taped up with contents written in black marker and finally up into the loft.
    Last night I saw the one that I missed a 6 inch resin lump of bear dressed as a Father Christmas for putting on a shelf. Bu***r! Loft ladder down again today. There is always one!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.