Thursday 26 May 2022

Vegetables coming along

 I was a bit wary leaving my tomato seedlings in the bathroom when we went away but they survived. They had become a little leggy though. I shall plant them out towards the end of this week.

The first rows of Washabi mustard greens, lettuce, radish, beetroot and carrots are growing well. We have eaten almost all the radishes:

More of each were sown yesterday. We also put up the canes for the runner and french climbing beans and sowed the first double row of peas:


 We shall see how they fare.

The fruit cage is also starting to ripen fruit:


In there we have rhubarb, raspberries, alpine strawberries, gooseberries and a thornless blackberry.

Much to DB's disgust I am sure, I want to build another couple of lower in height vegetable beds asap. We might not get them done in time for much sowing in them this year in which case we shall sow something to cover the soil. The way food prices are rising, I think it will be useful to at least try and grow more than we currently do. A smaller bed will be put just outside the dining room door for vegetables that don't mind growing in partial shade.



3 comments:

  1. If we eat what I grow we would eat grape tomatoes and nothing else. Too many deer and I just can't get the hang of it. I am trying green beans, we love them fresh. I agree the more you grow the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are lucky to have fences. If you build raised beds, you only need to fence those against the deer. Our beds are 32” tall so fences around them, up to 6’ should keep the deer away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lovely. I would really like to plant more fruit, but Harvey seems to have a bit of a problem with that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.