Monday 13 June 2022

Scone failure...

I think I was switched off making these. First, the cheese scones on the right. Liquid in before realising I hadn't added any fats:( Also, didn't even follow my recipe instead opting for just S. R. Flour (all purpose flour with baking powder added):


The fruit scones on the left are slightly better but basically, they all came out the same size they went in. Bummer.

Will we waste them, will we heck. They taste okay and the texture isn't horrible so they will get eaten or in the case of the fruit scones, made into bread and butter pudding, or eaten warm with some custard!

Custard always saves the day in this house!!!
 

10 comments:

  1. I have times when all my scones fail for one reason or another and then wonderful times when they rise like pillowy beauties, with that wonderful easy to pull apart ring around the middle. I think it's all to do with the weather and how far you stick your tongue out when your cutting them out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird isn’t it but this was the biggest mistake for a long while.

      Delete
  2. Whoops! Like Sue says..............Blame it on the weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, who knows, things just seem to happen don’t they.

      Delete
  3. Somebody [Delia] said you should just tap the cutter straight down, no wriggling around. And I remember Mary Berry advocating triangular scones [so all dough used efficiently in first rolling out, thus avoiding re-rolled offcuts from the circle edges] But I am beginning to think the tongue-out theory is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just incorrect ingredients for this failure, never normally have a problem.

      Delete
  4. If you find you've suddenly got a few new visitors to your blog it's down to me sharing your blog link on Facebook. Someone doing Carolyn's WW2 Ration Experiment that started today mentioned 'a blogger that had war diaries', others started to trying to find you, so I shared the link to your blog. Hope this was okay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s fine, it’s there to help people.

      Delete
  5. Now I want to make scones!!! It has been awhile since I tried my hand at them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd happily eat them, risen or not. As you say, custard - or cream or yogurt - and some fruit will work. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.