Wednesday 25 January 2023

Bought me an air fryer - I will try and not bore you too much!

Only -6.8 C Sunday night, just -0.7 last night, hoorah!

I have never been one to jump on the latest band wagon for anything. However, after months of watching people use them, I got really interested. We ordered a Ninja Dual Air Fryer on Tuesday and picked it up on Thursday. During the week, we used it to cook a previously prepared pasta dish:

First lesson to learn, cover the top with foil for the first half of cooking to prevent it slightly drying out and browning too quickly.

Second lesson, don't put the cheese on top for the first part of cooking. Add it once the foil is removed.

It took 20 minutes with no warming up of an oven. Nuff said!

The next meal was cooked from scratch in it. Onion browned, followed by browning the pork mince (something we have never been able to achieve in a frying pan), 15 minutes in total with no warming up of the pan! It was nice to see the crispy brown bits (drawer contents not covered for this part) and the semi roasted tomatoes:

Gravy was made from the strained juice and some added to the meat before being topped with potato. Foil covered and cooked at 200C for 10 minutes (needed 15 mins). Uncovered for another 10 mins or until its internal temp was 75C.

It was delicious but I forgot to do a final picture - doh!

It will take a bit of time to get used to, especially what to select to cook it on and what temperature and for how long etc.  


 

11 comments:

  1. I have a dual zone too and I use it so much. One of the best things I ever shelled out on. I'm sure you will get used to it quickly. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it so far. Just bought some 4” pie tins to try.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried a roast chicken yet. 30 mins breast side down, turn then another 30 mins all at 200 on roast or airfry. Delicious. I also bake sponge cakes in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to try some baking soon. A bit restricted by the size pans I can use so will start with muffins.

      Delete
  3. Yep, those that own them sure do talk about them :-)

    Seriously though they seem to be a great invention and a good money saver fuel-wise, I hope you have lots of use from yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aiming to make it, the microwave and slow/pressure cooker, my primary cooking utensils.

      Delete
  4. I debated getting an air fryer for ages but finally bought a ninja multi cooker which has pressure cooker, air fryer and combi steam options. I've only had it a couple of weeks but love it. Its so quick and the food is delicious. Your air fryer looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have a pressure cooker that steams and slow cooks. Just needed something for baking/frying and this fits the bill. I have resisted electronic gadgets for ages but appreciate them more as I age.

      Delete
  5. I really like my air fryer. Must learn to use it more often though. Your meals cooked very quickly. I am also trying to do more appliance cooking around here to save on the costt of running the oven.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with cookers/stoves is the warming up side of it isn’t it?

      Delete
  6. I use foil dishes/containers in mine - a Ninja Air Fryer Max, 5.2 litres - and my oven is obsolete; now used for storing frying pans! Toad-in-the-Hole, Chicken thighs and chips all cooked together - done in 12 minutes; cooking apples, sliced, sugar added, topped with sponge cake mixture; Jacket potatoes started in the microwave, brushed with oil and finished to a brown and slightly crispy skin - Mmmmmm. Joints of meat roasted in half the time needed in the oven. It's constantly in use.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.