Friday 24 February 2023

Car service, MOT, a mini shop etc

Car was in for its service yesterday, free thank goodness, although this is its last year under warranty. MOT all well although we will need to change both front tyres in the next few months. Not so much a lack of tread but both inside tyres have a lot of wear. Once changed, we shall make sure they blaance the wheels.

Once we had a courtesy car, we went to the shops to check out the old tomato situation at Sainsburys. All was fine there and the cashier stated that at the moment, they were not restricting what you could buy. Methinks that will change soon. They had everything but peppers.

Bought a few needed things and came home. We both felt like a protein based meal so I hard boiled some eggs and was surprised to find they were all double yoked!

I air fried some chicken drumsticks and thighs. Some flour, celery salt, pepper and paprika went into a bag and the meat tossed in it. A light brush of oil on the browning plate and in they went. 190C for 22 minutes, turned after 15 minutes. Didn't need any longer as their internal temperature was in the high 80'sF (need to be over 75 for safety):

Crispy on the outside, moist inside, lovely. Doesn't look much but we were both full.


10 comments:

  1. MOT and service due for mine in March, after the 4 new tyres last year I'm hoping for a much lower bill this year!
    The fuss about missing tomatoes is ridiculous and as for the politician who said we should all eat turnips instead - what a numpty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly see turnips around here. The money we saved on the service will disappear on two new tyres!

      Delete
  2. I too find protein very filling. How lucky to get double yolked eggs! I think the only time we had double yolkers was in eggs we bought direct from a farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were from a farm egg shop but one I cracked today was a single yolk.

      Delete
  3. Double yolkers are always such a happy bonus aren't they. We had one chicken who used to lay them regularly, she was a big girl.

    We were allowed up to 3 boxes of tomatoes per customer at Aldi this morning, as we were shopping separately, the way we always do, I got two as I needed them and Alan got one box. There was a rogue pack lurking under the shelves, I hope someone spotted them as supplies were very low. I really wanted a cucumber but there were none at all, we did have peppers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shortages vary don’t they. Does rather remind me of the early days before lockdown.

      Delete
  4. I suppose this hopefully short lived fresh veg shortage situation might make us eat more seasonally. There are very few cucumbers around us, however I always pickle some home grown in the summer, but they're not quite the same as fresh. Roll on the tomato & cucumber growing season !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Can’t beat the taste of freshly picked tomatoes.

      Delete
  5. Your chicken looks great. I plan on doing some in my air fryer on the weekend. Hope they turn out as nicely as yours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were most impressed. Fingers crossed for yours.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.