Sunday 5 March 2023

New gardeners

If the news is anything to go by (plus bloggers etc), many new people are going to start gardening this year. I wish them well but they need to realise it isn't as simple as sowing things and hey presto, great vegetables and fruit grow. They need food and water, possibly staking etc. 

It is always best to only grow what you will eat. Start with a few simple things and see how you go. There is tons of help, especially on You Tube, as well as books, tv, friends etc.

Many will unfortunately sow too early, not realising about frost (or plants getting too tall and spindly indoors because they need to go out but can't). They may have a bit more knowledge and sow later but haven't got around to frost protection such as simple greenhouses/fleece. Tender plants, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, and certain other vegetables, fruit and flowers, need protection until the last frost dates for their own area. The weather has changed so much in recent decades, that sow by dates, dates of last frosts may well have shifted backwards.

Bugs will have a feast, animals will dig up, pee or poo over them, that's if they don't eat them down to the ground. Only perfect items are usually available in the supermarkets and home grown are all shapes and sizes with various problems. Things take a long time to grow and I feel many will just give up. Please don't!

I have been gardening close on 45 years and still have failures due to pests or adverse weather conditions. The heat wave last year was such an example and if it happens again, I will need to shade my raised beds.

I once made the mistake of saving seeds from supermarket tomatoes not realising they were F1 hybrids and often don't come true from their seeds. They were fine to eat just not the good flavour of the original. Also they were grown in greenhouses and I didn't have one. I used to sow tomatoes in February, now I don't start until the end of March. Our last frost dates have shifted backwards over the years we have been here. I used to be able to put the resulting plants out beginning of May, last year it was the beginning of June!

If you want to seed save, look for non F1 hybrid seeds, or heritage seeds, they usually come true from saved seeds and saving your seeds, where possible, will save money the following year.

Know your garden, where does the sun rise/set. Where does the shade move to and from. How will you water it, can you set up water butts/old dustbins or other large containers to collect rainwater, to save using the hose pipe. We currently have 5 large water butts and one old black dustbin. We ran out of water last year so are adding two more black bins to our water saving area.

Soft fruit is a particularly difficult thing to grow here. They always do well for a couple of years then start to die, despite testing the soil and adjusting the nutrients where possible. The exception is the blackberry, a real trouper!

Read, watch and listen, then read and watch some more. Weed, feed and water. The first year may not save you much money but if you have success, it will taste so good you will realise what you have been missing. After the first year, adjust your mistakes, feed the soil, keep going and you will enjoy the harvest and it will get cheaper.

Be brave, get going but don't give up at the first hurdle. Babies take an age to turn into adults, vegetables and fruit are the same but on a shorter time scale.


7 comments:

  1. I'm going to try growing tomatoes from a fruit but I will also buy proper plants as well - I love my home grown tomatoes and live in dread of blight when it rains! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shop bought tomatoes did okay as plants but just didn’t taste the same as the commercially grown ones. I spray my tomatoes each week/fortnight with 1/2 a disprin dissolved in 1/2 pint of water. Seems to keep the worst of the blight off.

      Delete
  2. Some useful tips here. I'm a newbie gardener, and I would say get a couple of good books AND don't be afraid to ask those around you for advice. They know the climate/soil etc for your area and will steer you towards crops that will thrive. And often they will generously share seeds and cuttings along with their words of wisdom. Much of the veg I planted last year grew well. Some crops failed completely. But I am learning, and loving my new hobby. I have even joined the village gardening club πŸ’πŸŒ·πŸŒ»πŸŒΌπŸŒΊπŸŒΉπŸ₯•πŸ₯”πŸ…πŸ₯’πŸ…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find it enjoyable but it can be frustrating and hard work at times. However, the flavour and storing you own harvest for later use, outweighs all of that.

      Delete
  3. We ended up getting many new gardeners during the last few years. Mostly because of the pandemic I think. Seeds were very hard to come by during that period and from what I have heard some didn't even get much from their gardens. Yes they are work and I don't think some realized that.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed. I should do more in the garden than I do:)

      Delete
  4. The magazines with the free seeds on the covers at this time of year would be a really good investment for absolute beginners, as well as having the seeds you get full instructions on exactly what to do with them inside the magazine.

    A really good website for all gardeners is Garden Focused, it is pretty much world-wide and can be used on a phone or on your computer. You click on your country, then the first letter of your town and then choose your town from the dropdown list and it gives you ALL the gardening information that you need. When to do what and why. Seemingly my last frost should be at the end of April, so that's refreshing to hear.

    https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.