Welcome to my new follower, Frugal Mammy.
Earlier this week,
we took charge of some new critters to our home. Eventually they will
live outdoors but as the weather is so cold, it is recommended they
stay somewhere indoors for a while. As we don't have a greenhouse or
garden shed and the garage is only really big enough for the car,
they have been given a temporary des-res in the conservatory!
What are you talking
about I hear you say, indoor critters. Well, let me explain. I had
read on another blog, The Squirrel Family over here
that they had
invested in Wormcity a new style of wormery. I had previously had
another make and it had failed. From reading the comprehensive instructions that
came with this, I now know why. I have just won £50 on the premium bonds so that, plus a little extra bought us a Wormcity 75.
So let me take you
through building it, within one hour from it arriving. 30 minutes of that time is
soaking the coir compost brick so had I got myself properly organised, it would have taken around 30 minutes in total.
This is what it came
in, other than the tape holding the box together and two small
plastic bags inside, everything else is usable. That is a great start
by this company in my view.
Once opened and the
top of the wormery removed, here is what you get to start it off:
1 coir compost brick to be soaked in 3 litres of warm water for 30
minutes, 1 bag of worm food, 1 x 500g bag of live and wriggly worms
(plus babies and a few un-hatched eggs), a tap,two nuts and bolts and an instruction sheet.
As we may be moving this around for its first few months, DB put in
another 2 nuts and bolts but it doesn't really need it.
I won't discuss the build too much but show pictures as there is a link to their web site here
We used the front of
the box to line the first tray (plus damp newspaper) and decided to
stand it inside the box once built as sometimes, the worms have
wanderlust in the first few days!
A few days down the line, this hasn't happened. Indeed, when I lifted the lid, cardboard and top layer of newspaper, the are nowhere to be seen. They must have dug down deeply into the compost.
Our conservatory is west facing and this time of years stays between 8C and 20C, which apparently is within their happy range. We have to leave them for a week then give them another feed of the worm food. After another week, they should be ready to begin feeding on a small amount of chopped kitchen waste. Fingers crossed.