Thursday 20 July 2017

Raised bed worm tower

I have been reading about worm towers for quite some time and as I have 3 decent sized raised beds and 3 old flower pots to utilize, decided to rope in DB to help me build one!

Herewith just one of many videos on the subject to view here

There are many variations on these and some say to use only compost worms, others that garden worms will infiltrate into it and work as well. I am trying the latter for now but if I find some compost worms in my larger bin, might add a few of those as well.

First of all, one large plastic defunct tub, with 1" holes drilled into the sides and bottom, and smaller holes near the rim for ventilation:
Some old door flyscreen net around the ventilation holes to try and keep out the fruit flies:
A hole was dug in raised bed 1, the base filled with our own compost and the pot put on top.  A little more compost was added and some shredded paper which was watered well.
A few kitchen waste scraps were put on top and a little more water added:
I currently don't have a garden saucer large enough to cover the top of this so have used a garden tray as a temporary lid:
When I have a bit more time, I shall hunt through our compost bin for a few more worms to add to it.

Have a grand if wet weekend everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I bought earthworms and butterflies for my garden as there seemed to be none of either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cracking idea. I might have to make one for my veg plot.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.