Thursday 8 October 2020

Green Tomato Chutney

The tomatoes we picked to avoid the bad weather, have been inside long enough to start turning red. I just managed to get 1lb of green ones to make a batch, probably about 2-3lb when done. 

Other than forgetting to chop the raisins, I followed the recipe. It is one from my mother in law, hand written by father in law. I don’t know where she got it from. I love flipping through my folder to see their recipes and writing now they are long gone.

Started out like this:

After 3 hours we managed to get about 2 1/4lb. The two 1lb jars have already clicked into place but the small one, with such an air gap hasn't. No need to worry, it will be ready to eat early December and will be the first one we use.
I still need to make picalilli and some more marmalade then I will be done for this year.
 

10 comments:

  1. I have so many green tomatoes that I might have to go through that route too rather than waste them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of mine turned red once brought indoors but there are loads of recipes involving green tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. I love any chutney but green tomato is very tasty. Perks up cold lamb like nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And cheese sandwiches, pork pies and sausage rolls.

      Delete
  3. I make a green tomato relish I wonder if it is close to being the same...I don't use raisins though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many recipes around aren't there? I was surprised to find it had bananas in it.

      Delete
  4. I never chop the raisins - it seems unneccessary, and I like finding them on my plate when I have a spoonful of chutney with my ham or pork pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are still eating our way through green tomato chutney I made back in 2015. I might have made a bit TOO much that year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, sounds like it. My MinL had a cupboard full of home preserves for us, and anyone else, to help themselves to.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.