Saturday 10 April 2021

Eating more healthily

We feel we eat relatively healthily to begin with but want to increase our healthy meal recipes. I am going off our traditional meals and am need of something lighter and brighter, if that makes sense. I recently began looking at the downshiftology recipes and videos and some look great. 

Last night for tea, we made a half amount of her Ultimate Chicken Salad, see here:

This should have served 3 people on its own but we both felt it needed a bit more so added a hard boiled egg each and divided one avocado between us. I will pare back the amount of dijon mustard as it was a tad too much for me. The recipe didn't call for radishes but we had some so used them.

We both enjoyed it and agreed it would stay in our new menu range. Her way of cooking the chicken breasts and how to shred them in a food mixer was a great idea. We have enough shredded chicken left to do a half recipe amount of her White Chicken Chili. Thanks Lisa!


16 comments:

  1. I must look that one up, it looks good! Thanks
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That site is good for healthier recipes and it looks like you are off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went off "traditional meals " a while back. I still cook hubby a substantial meal every day as he's got a very physical job on a building site, however whilst he tucks in, I'm happy with a jacket potato or something light and easy. I go in fits & starts - at the moment my favourite is tomatoes on toast (which will be good in tomato season, if ours take off).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love home grown fresh tomatoes on toast.

      Delete
  4. I had a look at the recipe as I like the sound (and look) of it. I'm so used to having a couple of teaspoons of light mayo, that the quantity used almost gave me a fit of the vapours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used very light and will half it next time, bit too much for us as well.

      Delete
  5. I must take a look as it sounds like my sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely recipes on there.

      Delete
  6. Looks wonderful, more of an effort is needed to a healthier diet for us so worth looking at that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the chicken was pre cooked (I did 4 breasts) and shredded, it did enough for this one, one more tomorrow and a snack.

      Delete
  7. That chicken looked delicious, we love red slaw with salad, shredded red cabbage, onion and white cabbage, then cider vinegar with tip of the spoon of sugar and seasoning and left to marinate Very nice added to crisp green lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t mind spring onion in salad but not in normal coleslaw, don’t know why.

      Delete
  8. Looks good I replace half of the Mayonnaise in a recipe with plain yogurt. I don’t use reduced fat anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer not to but that was what I had.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.