Thursday 13 January 2022

It occurred to me the other day...

That in an emergency, we would need an emergency item - a manual can opener! We use an electric one as I find manual ones difficult to use. We do have a manual one but to be honest, it is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

We ordered and have just received a butterfly opener and 2 x military issue P51 can openers:

DB was happy to show me how to use the military version as he had knowledge of them.

Yeah, yeah, I hear you say, what kind of emergency are you thinking of? A prolonged power cut for one thing, breaking the tab of those so called easy to open peel back cans (done that numerous times). Spam and corned beef keys are notorious for breaking halfway around the tin.

What I like about the P51 are their small size (easy to operate though) and the fact they can be threaded onto a cord for safe keeping if you are out and about camping.

Another to do thing checked off my list!


3 comments:

  1. I've never had an electric opener, although I can see they might be useful. I picked up a second manual opener (update of the butterfly)from a boot sale because I thought the old one was on it's last legs, but it's still going.

    Very curious about the military opener? Demonstration needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just searched for using a P51 or P38 can opener on YouTube. Can’t link for some reason. Both the same but 51 is larger.

      Delete
  2. So I am not the only one that has trouble sometimes with those tabs, and don't get me started on the key ones where you have to go around the silly can.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.