Sunday 12 March 2023

This weather

 Is not conducive to planning and erecting our greenhouse! The wooden beams for the base were delivered in heavy rain but being ‘pressure treated’, the surface was dry for its first coat of black paint today. DB cut them to size yesterday.

They will need two coats each side and ends, and a third coat on each base just to be sure as they will be sitting directly on the ground. Once squared up, the base of the greenhouse will need building and fixing into place with bolts. After that who knows. This wet and windy weather seems to be around for the next two weeks and we need a still day to erect it.

We decided to use black wood for the base to fit in with the rest of the garden. Also, it is 8” high, the base itself is another 2”, both of which give me extra head room as the door is only 5’ tall. I decided it would to safer to step into the greenhouse rather than keep bowing and risking hitting my head!

10 comments:

  1. I agree - really not great weather for any outside stuff. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blowing a gale overnight and tomorrow. No painting either:(

      Delete
  2. Annoying isn't it - the weather for here is very unsettled more or less for the rest of this month. I'm a fair weather gardener so am not doing anything in the garden until the weather gets better. I hope you can get the greenhouse erected soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windy but good painting day today. All sides painted once.

      Delete
  3. I hope your weather soon allows you to erect your greenhouse.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too. Could do with somewhere soon for seed sowing.

      Delete
  4. We finally have some warmer weather since Saturday afternoon and some rain today. A bit chilly but it's to get warmer later this week. I need to put my winter orchid plant into another pot or into the ground. It is big and keeps falling over when there is some wind. Looking forward to seeing your greenhouse and what you have in it. Not sure if I will get one yet, even though I would like one! Have a blessed week~Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve got in my head what I want to grow in it, but who knows if it will come to fruition.

      Delete
  5. Exciting for you to have a greenhouse. We were very fortunate to have them already in situ at the allotment and at home. They've lost glass with the winds so we have repairs to do, but they do extend the growing season... our tomatoes seem to go on and on in ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will probably prove too small in the long run but we don’t have room for a bigger one. Looking forward to an extended season.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.