My experiment using fleece and garden mesh (with squares 1 cm in size), seems to have worked. It was not without its problems, namely trying to over sew the turned edges which had a mind of their own.
It took 3/4 of both a green and coffee fleece, plus 1/2 of a purple one. The purple one was a lot thicker despite being the same price so I had to adapt as I went. The green stretchy strips were around 1" in width, the coffee one 1.5" and the purple .75". Just goes to show, they were the same price but from two different stores.
The green and coffee fleeces came from The Range and the purple from B & Q. The ones from B & Q were far superior and are what I am using on my larger rug I started last year.
Anyway, here is a close up photograph of it: