Wednesday 27 November 2013

Puddings

Welcome to my new followers via Bloglovin - Amanda Hulley, Julie Royston-Ford and Shoestring Cottage.

Look at this double beauty appearing over our village the other day. They always make me glad and bring a smile of wonderment to my face.
It suddenly dawned on me that I was behind with preparing for Christmas and in particular, New Year family visits.

Using up more zest and juice from another half of orange and lemon, I made a basic Victoria sponge mixture, weighing everything using 3 eggs. Actually it was the weight of 2 eggs and a dried egg! The zests and juice were added at the end, and the mixture divided between 8 greased mini metal pudding tins.

They had a baking paper and foil lid put on, held in place by mini elastic bands and were then ready to be steamed.
After 1 hour and 20 minutes, they were ready.
They smell lovely and of citrus, we shall enjoy eating them. Two were kept back for our pudding  (with some custard), the rest were wrapped and frozen for use around New Year.

Now let me see, I reckon that leaves the mince pies, sausage rolls, maybe some mini pork pies and oh yes, a Dundee cake. Just need my shopping delivered and I shall be set to go!




12 comments:

  1. they sound amazing, and look beautiful, I have never steamed a pudding,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually steam these little puddings that I make although there is no reason why they can't be baked. I do that to puddings and cakes, then freeze until needed.

      Delete
  2. I was looking at my Dundee cake recipe at the weekend and although I've made it several times, it says to bake it a week before you need it. Now my Christmas fruit cake I make well in advance but I don't remember having to bake the Dundee so near to Christmas, is this normal I wonder? I'd love to make my own pork pies and one of these days I'm going to have a go. Your puddings sound good and it's nice to have some for the New Year too.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last time I made a Dundee cake, I fed it like a Christmas cake for about 6 weeks. It kept very well:) I shall do this to this one although it won't be quite so old. I have never yet made a perfect pork pie although we all have an interesting time eating them. Usually the pastry is far to thick at the bottom hence me thought on using the pudding tins.

      Delete
  3. I have been craving pork pie for a while now - a homemade one would be even better! I have resisted all temptation though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to say you could do a nice roast vegetable version but am not sure whether using something other than lard would work?

      Delete
  4. You are probably better prepared than we are. Tony did the cake and we bought a pudding from Betty's in York a couple of weeks back but thats it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but you have been busy getting Tony back to good health. Sometimes, good health has to triumph over preparations for anything.

      Delete
  5. Wot, no clootie dumpling? :) The steamed sponges look great and I've popped in to thank you for jolting my rattling brain into realising that I could be making steamed puddings and sponges on the log burner while it's lit. That makes this post my most inspirational post I've read today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad I inspired you. I did make a clootie dumpling one year but it took us ages to eat! What a lovely thought, savoury or sweet puddings, gently steaming on your log burner. Can't do it on ours as it is partially inside the fireplace and only has about 9" of head room!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.