Monday, 23 November 2015

Drinking Chocolate

We lit our wood burner for the first time this year on Saturday afternoon. Judging by the weather forecast, the weather should warm up more towards the end of the week so after lighting it again yesterday, we might not need it again for a while!

For a while now I have been making my own drinking chocolate as I have grown to dislike the artificial tasting bought stuff.

A bar of dark chocolate, 70% plus is chopped into bits and put into a mini processor:
Whizzed up bit by bit:
Then stored in a jar:
The jar above is actually full but I knocked it over before photographing and forgot to level it again! I use 3 - 4 teaspoons in a mug of hot milk.

The bar of chocolate weighed 100g and cost £1.15 from Lidl. It contains:

Cocoa mass 72% [Sugar, Cocoa butter, Cocoa powder], Vanilla flovouring.

Although there is 26% sugar (according to the label) in the above chocolate, 3.5% of it is starch, 10.6% fibre and 7.6% protein. Each 15g - 20g serving contains between 4.1g - 5.5g of sugar as broken down above, a smidge under or over 1 teaspoon. No more sugar is needed as the mug of hot chocolate tastes sweet enough.

Cadbury drinking chocolate, my old drinking chocolate costs 60p per 100g and contains:

Sugar, Cocoa Powder 25% minimum, Salt, Flavouring.

What I can't fathom out is the look of drinking chocolate, is it nearly 75% sugar if there is only 25% cocoa in it? Each 18g serving (according to online date) contains 13g sugar - that is just over 2.5 teaspoons per mug.

Okay, my home made drinking chocolate costs nearly twice as much but the taste of the home made is much nicer, really decadent and as an occasionaly treat, I know which one I prefer.




8 comments:

  1. Yuck.....my husband would love it but not me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own I guess. The chocolate taste is barely there, it just makes the milk taste yummy!

      Delete
  2. What a fab idea, it's not always about the cheapest, it's what you like the best x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I usually save it for my walking drink before we set off.

      Delete
  3. It sounds delicious. I must try it. I expect you also don't end up with the powdery gunk at the bottom of the mug either. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If over-processed it goes into lumps which need to be flattened before putting into a jar. It does melt quickly in a mug of milk in a microwave. I find it melts better in a mug full of milk in a pan.

      Delete
  4. Gosh the figures on the drinking chocolate are astonishing, as you say it must be the sugar that is 75% of the volume, shocking!!

    I use a couple of teaspoons of cacao powder in almond milk for a similar hot chocolate drink. But I do like the ease of yours, especially with it's lack of sugar .... it must be tempting to have that jar of chocolatey temptation near the kettle :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, it is hidden in a cupboard otherwise I would eat it by the jarfull, using just a spoon and no milk!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.