Wednesday 11 November 2015

Menu and War Diary Updates and tomatoes

I have updated our menu tab for anyone who is interested. We are still managing to keep our total meat costs for the week, for us both, to under £4.

The War Diary tab for Year V has also been updated, Quite a long missive this time!

I needed some tomatoes the other day to make something. As we were out shopping in town, I came across a small, but rapidly expanding market stall, where you can buy a dish of tomatoes for £1:

When I got them home, they weighed 1 1/2lbs, which is cheaper than Lidl where we normally shop. Needing some more another day, as we were in town, I bought 2 more tubs. Very good value for money but I have to admit, not as tasty as homegrown.


10 comments:

  1. My goodness, you are doing amazingly on your spending! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you although it might rise a little as I factor in baking product for Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Those £1 bowls are usually good value. Especially for things like ginger which are very expensive in supermarkets. The last of our tomatoes under cover are not very tasty - I loaded the slow cooker, threw in some garlic and herbs and left them all day. Strained later for puree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I didn't need to buy anything today, I would only go into town to get things from them if I was already headed that way.

      Delete
  3. It seems to be a growing trend to sell by the bowl. Our local guy does 1 bowl £1 or 3 for £2.50 which is good but you have to pick your bowls carefully. The younger guy doesn't check the fruit for sub standard like the older guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I could see most of them and when home, they were all fine.

      Delete
  4. We also have a market like that and can get a big bowl of cherry or small plum tomatoes for £1, much better value than any of the supermarkets. You are doing amazingly well with your food budget; puts me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you although my weekly shop will rise as I factor in baking goods for Christmas.

      Delete
  5. I first came across this idea when we lived in Oxfordshire, nearly all the food markets would have a couple of sellers selling by the bowl. Now it seems to have caught on everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to hold more for your money.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.