Tuesday 5 January 2016

Adapting GF oat bread recipe

We seem to have settled on making this bread, the recipe for which is under the Gluten Free tab above. As we needed another loaf, I decided to exchange 40g of the brown rice flour for brown teff flour, also adding 1/2 tablespoon psyllium husk, plus 1/4 cup of sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

I am attempting to make a brown seeded bread version of a loaf. Here it is fresh from the oven:
Here it is sliced:
So, how does it taste, what is its texture and does it hold together:

Colour is good, texture is near normal but it does feel slightly damp. That might be because teff doesn't soak up the same amount of liquid as brown rice flour? Could also be the addition of some psyllium husks? Again, I don't know.

We both thought, especially when toasted, that it smelt and tasted like wholemeal bread. Next time around, I'll leave out the psyllium husk and maybe use just a smidge less water and see what happens. I love experimenting.

It has a large air gap about 1/4 of the way down from the top which so far, hasn't affected how it holds together.

I do find though that home made GF bread, so far, seems to not hold together as well after being frozen, again, that might just be me?

For those of you eating shop bought GF bread, they can be very small and often dry. I found this interesting post the other day - here

What I like about it is the honesty, the pro's and cons etc. There are many other comparisons out there but this is for the British market, which is relative to me and mine.

I know not everyone has the time or energy to bake their own bread, especially if you are working full time. However if you can, do try as there are a lot less ingredients in home made versions. Though I do have to say, there are some pretty lousy recipes out there.

Take from that, what you will.

8 comments:

  1. Hi
    I just read the post from the curious baker. All those loaves are full of the most incredible amount of rubbish. Your loaf looks fab. I never eat shop bought bread. I'm not GF but I always bake using organic flour and yeast and experiment with different flours with varying degrees of success and I agree with you there are indeed many lousy recipes out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awful really isn't it? I always adapt normal bread when I make it for people. I used to use half the amount of yeast which worked well. However, haven't yet tried that on GF bread where yeast is used.

      Delete
  2. Looks great and we are a household of GF people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, just had some with lamb and vegetable soup!

      Delete
  3. I've given up buying GF bread as I just don't like the taste and frankly the cost. The only one I could eat if I had to is the M&S wheat free one. I've also tried baking my own from scratch with little success (too cakey!) Now I use the Helen's Brilliant Sandwich Bread mix. Quick and easy to prepare and no crap ingredients. It costs £2.50 and I get 9 chunky slices from it. It freezes well and actually tastes like crusty bread. Only negative point is that it doesn't stay soft for long even when well wrapped up. So I bake it and freeze it quickly if I'm not using much of it.

    I've tried the brown bread mix too but didn't like the texture. Hope this helps someone :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting information, thank you. The oat bread is good, although slightly cakey. However, it can take us 3 days to eat and is almost as fresh on the last, as it is the first. This loaf slices into 16 slices so good value.

      Delete
  4. Despite the review that you referred to, for buying GF bread I would go for Genius every time, it is like "normal" bread rather than some of the others where you might as well be eating a polystyrene tile! In fact I am sure that polystyrene tiles taste better. I expect that your bread is even better though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius certainly seems to be the most readily available.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.