Sunday 23 October 2022

Ay up!

Been busy working my way through a list of things that need doing. This week I have started making Christmas cards, making mincemeat for mince pies and using the red apples foraged from the holiday to make crab apple jelly. It is a dark red but not as dark as it looks below:

I used light brown sugar instead of dark as that was what I had. The mincemeat looks paler because of that:
I am still topping up my pantry, I mean, why wouldn't you if you are able to? Also decided to donate to the food bank each week rather than monthly. Even if it is a few tins or packets, every little helps for both. 

Rather than buying what I think a food bank needs (they get inundated with pasta, rice and pasta sauces), I go online to see what my local one wants and buy those. Currently they are asking for tinned meat and fish, custard, biscuits and hair conditioner!

People are so disconnected from where their food comes from it is shocking. Two young men were recently asked what is causing climate change. They both said "Farming. We need to get rid of all farms everywhere". Doh! What exactly they think they will eat who knows:(
 

12 comments:

  1. I'm topping up too - it only makes sense and one or two things each week can make a big difference later on.
    A good idea to actually check what is needed - much better.
    Your preserves look brilliant. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Was going to use my last jar of mincemeat from last year for baked apples but it was fizzing:(

      Delete
  2. I always used to make mincemeat but haven't done for the last 2 or 3 years, due to my diabetes and husband's borderline diabetes. I've got a pretty well stocked larder cupboard now....as you say, it's sensible in my opinion, if we have the means to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is sensible isn’t it. Think things will get much worse unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I saw that comment about getting rid of farming. Are youngsters these days taught nothing at school - we learned where our food came from at primary school, including a couple of farm visits. On second thoughts maybe it was all about the drive to get us to eat bugs instead!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those old horror films coming to fruition!

      Delete
  4. I've made jam a few years ago. I made my own applesauce this year but not alot left. I'm about the only one who eats it most of the time with my cereal at breakfast. Global warming happens at times as weather shifts. It's not about farming at all. Without farms there would be no food. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they taught them this though. Years ago, we introduced gardening at our local school to our little ones, they hadn’t a clue but enjoyed learning.

      Delete
  5. Topping up here as well. I figure it is the smart thing to do, especially living where I do and winter coming on. The less I have to drive any distance on slippery ice-covered roads the better I like it. Also, it pays to be stocked during this constant rising of prices.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly does. I need to find more room!

      Delete
  6. There is definitely a lack of education about foods and farming these days, something really needs to be done about it. People just do not educate themselves by reading books like they used to, so if they don't learn the basics at school they just never pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And follow the crowd, a bit like the current protesters.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.