Saturday 22 July 2023

Borage - a super self seeding friend or foe!

 We have many, many borage plants not only flowering, but new ones popping up all the time. They really self seed everywhere but the seedings are easy to pull up to limit their numbers.

Just wish they weren't so uncomforatble to brush past or pick from. Despite using washing up rubber gloves to crumble the dried leaves, they still pricked me.

I have just discovered on my herbal tea making journey, that the smaller younger leaves and flowers can be used, with some caution as they contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids. Read up on them if you are worried.

However, as I only steep mine for 10 minutes and intend to only use once or twice a week, I think I should be okay. The flowers are gorgeous and useful in salads. Some countries eat them cooked in meals:


I was thoroughly amazed by the taste, very fresh and cucumber like. I have only used them fresh so far so will try some dried to see if the flavour is different.

UPDATE; Nowhere near so nice dried, more grassy than cucumber so will only use fresh as a treat!

 

8 comments:

  1. Borage is a big big foe for me - it only has to brush me and I come out in a large red rash!! I leave it alone I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Wear thick gloves when I pick and once dried, the hairs are spear like and went through rubber gloves, another good reason for me not to dry them.

      Delete
  2. Interesting that the dried does not taste as nice as the fresh.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed but as they are even more prickly once dried, it’s a good excuse not to do so.

      Delete
  3. The flowerheads can be frozen as ice cubes to prettify drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And are also a nice addition to salads as a garnish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty flowers - apparently there is ongoing research into the medicinal use of this plant, as it is believed to contain chemicals which could help those with Alzheimers and also MS.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.