Sunday 9 July 2023

Garlic honey and potatoes

I started off a fresh batch of fermented garlic honey:


 Didn't have enough of either so will buy more ingredients in a few days time. The blue top is a burping cap used in fermenting. It allows the gases to escape without letting the air in. 

After a few hours, the garlic starts to float. You can use a fermenting glass weight to hold it down but I don't bother, choosing instead to give the jar a good shake whenever I am passing.

After a few days, the garlic sinks and the appearance of bubbles show it is fermenting. It is usually left alone for several weeks apart from a gentle shake every now and then.

I suffer occasional morning nausea and one teaspoonful of this takes it away almost immediately.

This morning, we emptied out our final and smallest compost bag of potatoes - 3 1/2lbs,  so not too bad at all. We now have the 4 large containers to use over the next few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I have never tried to make something like this. Could you please tell me the ratios of each, or approximately how much to use? Also does it need to just be raw garlic cloves, and when you remove the garlic cloves how long it would be shelf stable?
    When you mentioned the stomach issue, it made me think of my husband and issues he deals with. Thanks so much, I have honey from. family I can use. Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw chopped garlic cloves, enough to fill 1/3rd to 1/2 your chosen jar. Top up to 1 1/2” from the top with honey. Cover loosely and put in a jar for at least 2-3 weeks before using. Should have stopped fizzing by then. Stir carefully each day and eventually the garlic will sink. You leave the garlic in and gradually over time it gets very dark and candy like and can be eaten if desired. There are loads of recipes online on how to make it, all different. I have 1 teaspoon in the morning when feeling yuk. Sometimes it doesn’t fizz much but still works. Good luck.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, forgot to add, some people also add fresh ginger slices to the mix.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.