Tuesday 25 July 2023

Its a cool cool summer so far

 Most nights recently, I have had to close the door to my greenhouse to try and keep the chilli plants happy. Night time temperatures are averaging just 10C, not nearly warm enough for them especially as the day time temperatures are hovering around 19C.

There are quite a few varities growing in there and those in pots are quite happily setting fruit. Top picture Sweet Hungarian Hotwax:

Here are some Red Hot Cherry:
We are also growing Jalapeno and Anaheim.

The ones in the soil are only just beginning to flower and are a bit leggy, probably due to the greenhouse staging above them?


7 comments:

  1. It really is pretty chilly for the time of year, isn't it? Your chillies look lovely and healthy, despite it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First year growing them in a greenhouse, not sure they would be so good outside this year:(

      Delete
  2. The only thing really enjoying the weather this year is my huge rhubarb plant, I'm sure it's crossed with a triffid. We can barely see the wood chip area of the garden now. I caught Ginger sat under it the other day sheltering from the rain, so he's really appreciating it's size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, the leaves on mine were large enough for a small umbrella but I dug my remaining one up to transfer to the front and it is very sorry for itself.

      Delete
    2. That reminds me of not a rhubarb plant but of a lakeside gunnera in one of the gardens I visited some years ago. I visited in late July and by then the gunneras leaves were something like 10 feet x 8 feet with stems several inches across, and easily able to accommodate an adult sheltering from the rain.

      Delete
  3. Our summer started off cool but now is very hot. Not even cooling off in the evenings really.

    Your chili plants look great.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Warmer today and overnight apparently.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.