Friday 8 December 2017

Chocolate Nut Spread

Thank you everyone for your comments about my last blog post. I have no intention of stopping blogging! Blue sky and sunshine here but boy, does the north wind blow. Really, really cold.

The lovely Kate over at The Gluten Free Alchemist, recently posted about the sorry changes to the ingredients in Nutella, see here.

Now, I don't like Nutella, finding it artificial tasting and far too sweet and when you see the deconstructed photograph of what is actually in your jar, you might feel the same ugh!

However, I was intrigued by her recipe and decided to give it a whirl!

I used a mill attachment on my food processor, to grind the nuts before adding them to my processor. As I didn't have enough hazelnuts (which I had previously toasted), I topped up with untoasted walnuts. Once the cocoa and very small amount of icing sugar was added, it looked like this:
This stage tasted fab, a bit like a Ferrero Rocher. I feel an amended recipe coming here, maybe just a little melted chocolate to hold it together to make into balls?

The melted chocolate and vanilla extract were added:
Then it was all whizzed up and finished like this:
There are still tiny pieces of nut which is fine. It has quite a soft consistency at this stage and was easy to spoon into a selection of small jars:
This is meant to be stored at room temperature for just a few weeks but mine will go into the fridge until we are ready to use it (extremely difficult to spread straight from the fridge).

We won't be eating it all as some is designated for gifts. Wonder if it is stirred into ice cream it would make a 'Nutella' version?

Have a grand weekend everyone, snow not withstanding!





5 comments:

  1. That sounds really tasty. I am not keen on nutella either but wouldn't mind having a crack at that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never eaten Nutella; I feel I may be something of an oddity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither as one trial taste was enough. This is very nice though.

      Delete
  3. Good job Dc! Now GF Ferrero Rocher? That's an idea!
    I agree that straight from the fridge, it is rather hard to spread, but if you leave it to come to room temperature for a while, all is made easier! x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.