Friday 14 December 2018

Making a special cake...

It seems I am doing nothing but bake at the moment, it too shall pass...

We decided to try an Advocat cake, courtesy of Elaine over at Mortgage Free in Three, see here.
  • 250 g Margarine or butter
  • 250 g sugar (I reduced this to 225g)
  • 250 g SR Flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 175 ml Advocat
  • 100g plain chocolate


It certainly tasted of Advocat but I am not too keen on the chocolate as it is quite powerful. When we make it again, I shall half the recipe, leave out the chocolate (making it less calorific and less expensive), add a few diced cocktail cherries and make muffins.

I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. I had to look up Advocat and it sounds similar to eggnog. Do you buy it in the cold dairy section at the grocery store? Could you use eggnog as a substitute do you think? Eggnog and chocolate? I don't know about that combo.
    I hope you don't mind the questions British, Canadians and Americans are so very similar but there are also many, many slight variations too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in the same aisle as liqueurs here in the uk. It comes generally in a bottle and has about a 6 month use by date. Posh expensive stuff comes in a jar, is a bit thicker, more like a curd and has a short use by date. Not sure whether you could use egg nog. I believe Warninks Advocaat can be ordered in the US but has a high postal charge.

      Delete
  2. The cake sounds very rich. Muffins could be the way to cut down calories as well.

    I am not sure if we have Advocaat here in Canada. I think I might have to substitute something else. Some research necessary.

    God bless.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.