Monday 20 June 2022

Fermenting vegetables

 Trying to learn another skill, this time fermenting vegetables with a saline solution. I did quite a bit of reading up on it and invested in some weighty glass discs to hold the vegetables beneath the solution.

Last week, I bought a bag of 3 large pointed sweet peppers and 1 small bag of chillies.

I washed everything thoroughly and left them to drain. Hope that will be sufficient. The peppers and one chilli were sliced and popped into the jar. I filled them up with the solution until 2 inches from the top. Inserted the glass disc and filled them up a bit more. 

A pickle pipe and screw band were put on top and they were placed on a tray to ferment:

The date has been noted on the calander to try them!


11 comments:

  1. You are becoming very experimental recently!! It's fascinating.

    Unfortunately I don't like fermented things or many things that have vinegar in them, although I can cope with the odd pickled onion or maybe a dollop of chutney if there's lots of bread or cheese to mellow the taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just felt the need to try new ways of storing food, plus eating it!

      Delete
  2. I tried a recipe for doing radishes the same way but they just tasted so salty I couldn't eat them.
    My Mum used to salt down runner beans (the old fashioned way not fermenting) until the year something went wrong and she had a jar of brown sludge with a terrible smell! Hope your fermenting works as they should be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. Apparently I need to check them at 2 weeks. If too salty leave another 2 weeks etc.

      Delete
  3. Will be interested to hear about the finished product. We made sauerkraut a few years ago but without a special jar. Just checked and we can get these lids and glass weights here so may try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s good news. Amazing how things move on.

      Delete
  4. Thank you again for your generosity. I shall make a donation to the local Foodbank in lieu of sending you some stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your experiments with food. So interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.