Monday 3 April 2023

Already thinking about next winter

Today is sunny after a good frost. The wind though, is its usual blustery cold self. It made me realise that winter isn't quite done with us yet and what I could do to prepare for next year. 

Who knows what that will be like from a monetary point of view. Certainly more expensive than this year. OPEC, as though they aren't rich enough, have decided to stop producing so much oil to raise the prices, yet again. We are still on our 2 year energy deal. It runs out in a few months:( 

The log burner wasn't used as much as we feared as intermittent use of the central heating worked well for us. We will still order our usual 1 cubic metre of logs.

I did however, use my crocheted blanket almost daily and have decided to make another one, larger than it, ready for later this year. These are the colours I have chosen:

2 squares done many more to go. I shall find a lighter colour to join them together as well as use it for a decent sized border.
 


10 comments:

  1. Yes, I think it's wise to start planning ahead for Winter. The sunshine today is deceptive, from inside it looks like it's sitting out and reading weather, from outside it's dash back into the warmth of the house and put the kettle on weather. But the washing is drying nicely with the good breeze we have and I have two tomato plants and a very sturdy little courgette seedling ... so I am happy.

    I love the colours of your wool, the blanket will look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once edged and sewn with a paler colour, it will be lovely.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I thought so although some may call them somber.

      Delete
  3. We're having a log burner fitted in 2 weeks as we've got to reduce our gas consumption (fuel bill almost 500/mth) and hope that as our house is quite small, a log burner would throw some heat out. Husband has access to a lot of wood every day and has been bringing it home - the garage is full of sawn timber. It's a multi-fuel stove, so smokeless coal is also an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours has 2 logs on to begin with, around early evening, then usually another 4 then we leave it. Keeps warm for an age.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous yarn colours... very rich and jewel like. Our highest dual fuel bill was just over £135 for the month, which although is a lot of money compared to what it used to be, was nowhere near what I've heard others have paid. I'm still vastly in credit despite the £67 help being paid to my bank account rather than my bill every month, and taking almost £270 in refunds. Very glad it's warming up though; the heat if tge sun felt wonderful on all my arthritic joints today! Thanks for email x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scarlet, I've just read about your impressive fuel bills over on your blog. We pay as we use it now as we thought this would be a better way for us to manage it. Our boiler is at least 37 years old, so not efficient. We've been careful, but like you, I look after grandchildren for 9hrs x2 days a week and need them to be warm enough. Thank God spring seems to have arrived!

      Delete
  5. Those colours are lovely and cosy. I do like crocheting blankets. You can do a bit at a time and before long, there it is! Done.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be done eventually but I am quite slow!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.