Tuesday 18 April 2023

Expensive or what!

 We visited a garden centre yesterday. It was selling a pot of five raspberry plants for £10.95. Knowing a local nursery would be cheaper, we went there and paid £7.95. However, we also needed some tall but narrow growing shrubs for the bare fences in the back garden.

Blimey, established but not large ones were between £30 and £40! In the end we found some smaller shrubs, which we already have, and bought two more of those, at £11 each. Much better.

Looking at all my plants both front and back, we have lost a few. Presumably due to the cold and copious rain. I shall see if I can find any self set small ones to move, or others to divide. Annuals will have to do the rest.

On a cheaper note, DB is busy taking apart and reassembling trellis from the old kindling store into net tops for the two raised beds we created last year.

Unfortunately we are running out of the black paint we use and that is around £25 a pot:(

6 comments:

  1. Everything seems expensive and getting more so by the day at the moment doesn't it.

    I was really lucky and one of our neighbours, who has a virtual allotment in his back garden was pruning his raspberries last year and offered me some canes. I planted them, pruned them hard about six weeks ago as he told me to, and they are romping away now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely. Hope you get lots of fruit.

      Delete
  2. I went to a Dobbies garden centre recently (only stopped there for the loo!) and in the 50% off area there were shrubs that were still £44.99!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things just seem to be getting more and more costly. I am hoping that all my bulbs and plants come up once again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have certainly lost a few this winter. Bit of a waiting game isn’t it?

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.