Saturday 17 June 2023

Being in the moment

One of the things I really enjoy about growing, foraging, harvesting and drying herbs, is being in the moment. Some might say that is practicing mindfulness but I don't really know.

Take the picture below:

Such gorgeous colours. Just one shelf in my dehydrater, separated bramble leaves and English marigold (Calendula). Not to be confused with French marigold, a whole different plant.

This was a trial but the marigolds took too long to dry so they now get dried in the conservatory over several days. Once 3/4 dry, I pull the petals off the heads, even though both can be used. Stored in a jar, they look like saffron! Haven't tried it yet in a tea but most will be used as part of my homemade shampoo. 

I tried but didn't like rose petal tea and certainly will not be trying lavender tea. Although I love their smell, I really don't like the flavour.

So far, for herbal tea, I have dried bramble (blackberry) leaves, nettles, elderflower, lemon balm, lemon verbena. I am currently drying mint, and have had to buy some camomile and linden (lime tree but not the kind which grows limes). Not much wild yarrow around here but I have bought some of the proper kind of plants, which will be dried when ready.

Next year, I shall try harvesting goose grass and maybe hawthorn flowers, time will tell.


9 comments:

  1. You are welcome to come and harvest the goose grass here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loads here also but it has to be picked first thing in Spring so I missed it.

      Delete
  2. Can you use the calendula in place of saffron, to colour rice or other ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, it is known as poor mans saffron and makes a good substitute.

      Delete
  3. I am planning on purchasing some calendula seeds next year. Thanks for the information on drying them in a dehydrator.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the trays in my hot conservatory, top tray covered to retain the colour. Seems to work.

      Delete
  4. I bet they smell wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little spicy. The mint smelled gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. It is nice sitting down to a job like that isn't it, and very relaxing. Productive mindfulness is always the best.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.