Thursday 29 June 2023

My first potato harvest in years

 Our first batch of potatoes was sown in compost bags and yesterday, we harvested the first bag. Now, I haven't fed or topped them up as much as I should but even so, we got 2lb 12oz:

I didn't realise they would be ready but the bag next to it, when watered, showed some potatoes sitting on its surface. The variety is Winston and we were a bit worried as they are supposed to be watery but we found them lovely.

Two more bags to go plus 4 large tubs - should be interesting!

7 comments:

  1. They look very good - that's a variety I've never tried

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just randomly grabbed them as we couldn’t make our minds up.

      Delete
  2. I have planted tubs this year. Swift, and Red Duke of York. Expecting to harvest shortly. Yours look good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Won’t need to buy potatoes for a couple of months at least.

      Delete
  3. They look good, some of mine have just been flowering for the last couple of days, so I should have some spuds soon too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These haven’t formed flowers yet but I could see the bag stretching so risked it.

      Delete
  4. Those potatoes look lovely. Ours are just starting to flower.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.