Saturday 16 March 2019

In my fruit and vegetable garden this year...

I will be growing the following:
Only beds 1 and 4 are available for vegetables, as last year, bed 2 had rhubarb transferred into it and bed 3 strawberries.

Tomatoes and beans will go down the garden wall near the garage as well as a few tomatoes in pots on the patio.

Also in a couple of pots will be 2 tubers of:
I quite like begonias but rarely grow them. I do know, that if you remove the male flowers as they appear (the small insignificant ones), the female flowers grow far bigger. That of course, may only apple to the big blousy versions.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on the begonias. I buy these each year but never knew that if you remove the small flowers you get bigger blooms. shall try that this year.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly worked for me last time, as well as liquid feeding.

      Delete
  2. Something so exciting about a pile of seed packets :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you! We have very limited success with some crops due to our location - not enough continuous sunshine during the growing season. We have lifted some slabs in the greenhouse to plant our strawberries so they, at least, can reward us with a good crop each year. Peas and broad beans do reasonably well outside, as do courgettes and potatoes but alas everything else struggles. Tomatoes are an example of where we have had to finally admit defeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomatoes and beans can sometimes be a problem here as well.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know that either, thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mom and I always do this and get a lovely showing of big beautiful flowers. Then Harvey gets in with the fertilizer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this time of year when seeds are a little promise of what is to come.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.